- This event has passed.
Joubin-James Short Course: Applications of scanning electron microscope in geosciences
October 22, 2019 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
By: Langqiu Sun (China University of Petroleum – Beijing),
Yanan Liu (University of Toronto)
Time: October 22, 2019, 3 -5 pm, ESC 2093
Who should attend? Students, Faculty, Staff, Post Docs, RA’s interested in SEM applications!
Scanning electron microscope (SEM) and its extensional detectors have been helping the study of geosciences for decades. We will:
* introduce the techniques of SEM;
* show the typical SEM images of various rocks of geological interest;
* review the general procedure of image processing;
* discuss the statistical parameter used to describe the micro structures of a rock;
* provide an overview on the simulation methods of digital rock.
There will be opportunities for hands-on practice with SEM in the SEM laboratory in the Earth Science Building.
A demo/educational version of Dragonfly, a software package for SEM & CT image processing, can be downloaded from
http://www.theobjects.com/dl/filedown.php?c=FgtaWk for those who are interested in further study, courtesy of ORS. The link will expire on October 30, 2019. The on-line help files can be found at